Today, it’s common to see public spaces, especially cafes, offer free WiFi to their customers. If you plan to use a laptop in such places, you can view the passwords; however, if you want to use a smartphone, it might be difficult to access the codes.
Although you can ask the staff, it is faster if you can retrieve the passwords from the smartphone. It’s also a good idea to learn how to recover Wi-Fi passwords for networks which you might have used earlier.
With this article, we will show you how to retrieve passwords on both Android and iOS devices. However, our guide works with jailbroken or rooted iOS and Android smartphones. We are focusing on these types of devices because they offer admin access as these details are stored in the system folder. Now let’s begin with iOS devices.
View Saved WiFi Passwords on iOS Devices
Recovering Wi-Fi Passwords on jailbroken iOS devices involves a few steps.
- Install NetworkList from Cydia.
- Head to Wi-Fi Settings and tap on the Network Password icon. If your device runs on iOS 7, tap Known Networks to see all the networks saved on the device.
- Here you will be able to view the passwords; however, you cannot copy and paste the text message. We suggest noting the Wi-Fi passwords with a pen and paper.
View Saved WiFi Passwords on Android Devices
Since we need to open a system file on Android, we cannot work with the preinstalled file explorer. However, an app such as the Astro File Manager can handle such a task. You can also check out other good File Explorers for Android.
- Launch the app, scroll to a root folder in your File Explorer and tap the directory titled data.
- Tap the data directory, scroll to the data/misc/Wi-Fi folder, tap and choose the wpa_supplicant.conf file. We advise that you perform this task with the File Explorer onboard text/HTML viewer.
At this point, you should be able to view the network SSID and their passwords. Search for SSID (network name) and copy or write down the name of the password beside it.
Do not edit the file as this might affect the Wi-Fi connectivity. Also, if you feel this method is tedious, you can check out apps for this task on the Google Play store. But some of them come with ads that might annoy you.
With these steps, you can view saved WiFi passwords on either iOS or Android devices. Please take note that jailbroken might cause device instability and prevent you from receiving security updates. Besides, rooting comprises the security of your device. With this in mind, we suggest you consider these risks before you jailbreak or root your phone.
- How to Add and Install Bigboss Repo on iOS 2019
- How to Use two WhatsApp in One Android Phone – No Root
- How to Fix App Not Installed Without Root on Android
- Download and Install HipStore on Your iPhone or iPad without Jailbreak