Sony’s PlayStation 5 is arguably the hottest gaming console in the world right now, demand for the console is very high and many are still yet to get their hands on it. Economic crunch, chip shortage, lack of stock, are the reasons some people can get the PS5 yet. If you still own a PS4, Sony is making it possible to play PlayStation 5 games on a PlayStation 4 console thanks to Share Play.
Since the PS5 came out, Sony has released blockbuster games such as Demon Souls, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and there are many more coming. Because you don’t have a PS5 console yet does not mean you can’t enjoy these games. This is where Sony’s Share Play comes into play.
What is Share Play?
Share Play is basically a feature introduced by Sony that allows you to mirror your gaming screen with a friend, hand over your controller so your friend plays as you, or play together a local multiplayer session over the internet. Share Play debuted on the PS4 in 2014 and is now available on the PS5.
A Share Play session lasts up to 60 minutes. Both players can enjoy the online multiplayer even if the game does not support it.
Requirements to Play PS5 Games on a PS4 Console with Share Play
To use Share Play:
- Both players must have a PlayStation Plus subscription.
- Both players must have a high-speed internet connection. Sony recommends at least a connection speed of 2Mbps.
- You and your friend ought to have a PS4 and a PS5 console, either of you should have one of the two.
How to Play PS5 Games on a PS4 Console
Now that you have fulfilled the requirements above, you are ready to play PlayStation 5 games on a PlayStation 4 console. Your friend is the one with a PS5 console and you have a PS4, your friend will be the one to initiate Share Play.
- On the PS5 after the owner has logged in, press the PS button on the DualSense controller.
- From the control centre, select Game Base. Game Base is where you see online friends.
- Press the square/box button and select Create Party.
- Your friend with the PS4 should show now, select his name and choose the Voice Chat party option as shown below.
- Now that you are your friend with PS4 are in a Voice Party chat, select Start Share Screen and then Start Share Play.
Now that you have started Share Play, you have to choose a mode – Share Your Screen with Visitor, Visitor Plays as You or You Play with the Visitor. For your friend to take over your PS5 game, you have to select the Visitor Plays as You mode.
Now, your friend can enjoy playing your PS5 games on his PS4 console.