There are quite a number of good free cloud storage alternatives to Dropbox which is not widely used, this article will shed more light on this. Both big and small business enterprises generate large amounts of digital things. These could come from email messages, invoices, reports, spreadsheets, legal documents, etc. Though several small firms do not make use of cloud-based or shared file storage system because they normally save their files, which are small, on local computers; one reason or the other could make small businesses employ cloud-based file storage system.
Such reasons could be any of the following:
- The hardware used by the business does not have the ability to handle file demands.
- Data, as well as files, cannot move from the office to the home of an employee who works from home or to the field.
- Archival requirements, which are occasionally made compulsory by law, become over-demanding.
Several businesses make use of Dropbox, which has been adjudged by people has the most popular cloud file sharing and storage platform. However, “the most famous” software might not be the best for your small business. This is why we have researched about free cloud storage alternatives to Dropbox, which can even give you a better service. These alternatives are expatiated below:
Free Cloud Storage Alternatives to Dropbox to Try Out
Box and Dropbox have a number of features in common. First, the two software offers intuitive file storage as well as sharing using a public cloud. Second, they can both operate as a business centre online. Lastly, the two of them offer high-grade file security.
- It provides free storage of 10 gigabyte
- Its free, personal version integrates with common software like Office 365, Google Apps as well as Microsoft Outlook.
- Also, this free version offers advanced file-sharing features such as custom URLs, granular permissions setting, etc.
- It is an ideal choice for small businesses or teams as it lays emphasis on partnership.
- It offers standard customer support as part of its free package.
- It has enterprise-class file security.
- The free package is slow and not reliable on iPad and iPhone.
- It does not offer version control.
- There are no options for file storage expansion.
This is another alternative to Dropbox that is easy to manipulate. With its large amount of free space and emphasis on file sharing, Cloudup could be your most preferred software for cloud file storage and sharing.
- It is faster and simpler to use.
- It is one of the largest options available for file sharing and storage as it offers free storage of 200 gigabytes.
- It is an excellent choice for small businesses (with a capacity of 5 people) and freelancers.
- It has a password protection system for ‘streams’ that are actually visual folders.
- It has no room for scaling.
- Its support is restricted to email and Twitter
- The maximum size of file upload is 200 megabyte.
This platform is very popular with users of Google apps such as Gmail, it is much more than just another one of free cloud storage alternatives to Dropbox. Google Drive offers excellent free file sharing and storage system to customers.
- It provides free storage of 15 gigabytes with unlimited photo storage at low resolution.
- It works excellently on the Android operating system and iOS.
- Syncing Google Drive files with third-party software is easy.
- Its speed is slower than that of Dropbox
- It cannot edit directly those files, not in Google Apps suite.
Known as the most recent file-sharing software in the tech world, Nextcloud12 offers free, open source and easy-to-use service to users. Three categories of users find the features of this software attractive — those that want a big potential for scalability; those that want high-level security and those that love open source software.
- It has a large number of features for file storage and sharing service at no cost.
- It has a number of collaborative features such as commenting on files and tagging.
- It has dedicated resources for security features at enterprise level.
- It can be operated on most servers for Linux, Apache, MySQL as well as PHP (LAMP).
- Apart from IRC chat media and forums, its customer support is unavailable except for premium plans.
- Though it has a huge number of add-ons, only a handful of them are easy to use, functional on mobile apps of Nextcloud, or appealing esthetically.
We have listed a number of file storage and sharing alternatives to Dropbox, and explained their pros and cons. You can choose any of these platforms to enjoy excellent file storage and sharing service at no cost.