Naughty Dog has announced it has made the “incredibly difficult decision” to cancel development on The Last of Us Online. The project had been in the works since the studio was working on The Last of Us Part II, according to a blog post announcing the news. The studio said it was “enthusiastic about the direction” in which the multiplayer project was headed, but unfortunately now, it won’t be seeing the light of the day.
“To release and support The Last of Us Online we’d have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games,” the studio says. “So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog’s heritage.”
Last year, during Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest, Naughty Dog gave a first look at The Last of Us Online via a concept art and promised to share more news about the project this year. After nothing was shared about the multiplayer at the PlayStation Showcase in May, the studio announced a delay to the project. It said it was working on a “brand new single-player experience.” After that, Bloomberg reported that the team working on the project had been scaled back and that the studio was re-evaluating the game’s long-term viability.
The upcoming projects that have been confirmed from Naughty Dog so far are The Last of Us Part II Remastered, which releases on January 19, 2024, and the second season of the game’s live adaptation from HBO which is set to debut in 2025.
Image: Naughty Dog